Q:

Are walking sticks venomous?

A:

Although walking stick insects do not have a venomous sting or bite, some species can discharge a milky acidic spray from glands at the rear of the thorax. They can spray it accurately at predators at a range of up to two feet.

The acidic compound can provoke an intense burning sensation and cause temporary blindness if it reaches the eyes. In addition to spraying, walking sticks have several other defenses; they can discharge unpalatable blood from their leg joints as well as regurgitate a foul liquid. The best-known defense of the walking stick is the insect's ability to mimic twigs.

Sources:

  1. desertusa.com

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    What do walking sticks eat?

    A:

    Stick insects, despite their imposing appearance, are herbivorous. There are over 3,000 different kinds of stick insects, collectively called phasmids, and all of them eat plants. Some are very specialized, feeding only upon a favored plant species. Others are generalists.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do ladybugs reproduce?

    A:

    Ladybugs mate by the male mounting the female of the species and deposit his sperm. The males are able to hang on to the females' hard wing coverings if the female tries to resist.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    How do fleas reproduce?

    A:

    The way fleas reproduce depends on their species and environmental conditions, states "Flea Control: How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally." For example, the water flea reproduces asexually under normal conditions. These fleas only produce females until abnormal conditions, such as overcrowding or a limited food supply, cause them to asexually produce only males. The male fleas then mate with the females to continue reproduction until conditions change again.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are millipedes poisonous?

    A:

    Millipedes are not poisonous, but some species produce fluids that may cause allergic reactions in some people. The fluids may contain hydrochloric acid, which can react on the skin and cause long-term discoloration.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore