How do you simplify improper fractions?


Improper fractions are those in which the numerator (top number) is larger than the denominator (bottom number). According to Math is Fun, improper fractions are better for use in mathematical formulae, but mixed fractions are better for understanding and spoken language. When dealing with formulae or math operations, wait until you have made all the other manipulations before converting a fraction to a mixed number for your final answer.

  1. Divide the numerator by the denominator

    Remember that the line between the numerator and denominator is a division symbol. Use division to find the quotient and the remainder. Then use the quotient as the whole number in the mixed number.

  2. Write the remainder as a fraction

    Use the remainder as the new numerator in the fraction of the mixed number. Use the divisor from the division problem as the denominator. It should be the same as the original denominator.

  3. Simplify the fraction

    If the numerator and denominator have common factors, you should simplify before submitting as a final answer. Divide both the numerator and denominator by the greatest common factor in order to reduce them to the smallest possible whole numbers. When simplifying the fraction in the mixed number, don't divide the whole number. Use it and the reduced fraction as the final answer.

Q&A Related to "How do you simplify improper fractions?"
by cross multipling.
If you simplify the improper fraction 12/4, you get 3. !
1. Divide the numerator by the denominator on the improper fraction you wish to change. For example, in the fraction 3/2 you divide the 3 by 2. 2. Write down the answer using a remainder
Learning how to simplify fractions is an essential lesson for kids. Sometimes called reducing fractions, simplifying allows us to compare and order fractions, which makes doing other
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014