Are Holly Berries Poisonous to Dogs?

Answer

Holly plants are a type of yuletide plant. They are commonly used for Christmas decorations. Holly is also known as English holly, Chinese holly, Japanese holly, Ilex, and Saponins. Holly berries are poisonous to cats and dogs. They can cause severe gastrointestinal problems if ingested. Common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and head shaking. If you think your pet has ingested holly berries, you should contact your local animal poisoning control center or veterinarian immediately.
Q&A Related to "Are Holly Berries Poisonous to Dogs?"
A handful of holly berries might be enough to make a small child quite sick. Hollies are handsome trees (and one of my favorites) but maybe this planting could wait a few years?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200608...
Holly berries are poisonous, but the dose makes the poison. One berry may not be enough to be dangerous - but I wouldn't bet my child's life on it. Take the child to the ER.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_if_2yr_old_child_at...
Holly berry poisoning is actually quite rare. The leaves are rarely ingested as they are prickly, which in turn usually discourages people and pets to avoid the berries. Both the
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question42497.html
Hello again, I have dealt with this situation a few times in the past face to face with clients at my clinic and while there are no guarantees I think it unlikely that any symptoms
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/31fx4-dog-ate...
1 Additional Answer
Holly berries are considered to be generally toxic to pets. Just a few berries ingested by a dog will cause it to vomit, have diarrhea, and become generally depressed.
Explore this Topic
The berries from the holly bushes are slightly poisonous and should not be eaten. If you eat more than three berries from the bushes you may get severe nausea, ...
Holly bush berries are poisonous to humans. They contain a chemical that act as emetics, inducing vomiting in individuals, especially children, who eat them. Fatalities ...
Honeysuckle berries are poisonous to dogs because the berries contain carotenoids which dogs are unable to process if eaten in large amounts. Dogs that have ingested ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com