Can I sue someone for emotional distress?


It is possible for a person who feels he has suffered emotional distress due to negligence or the intentional actions of another person to sue for damages, according to LegalMatch. Damages in these cases are limited to the severity of the distress as deemed by the court. Some lawyers opt not to take a case solely based on emotional distress issues since these damages are usually relatively minor.

LegalMatch explains that there are two ways to sue for emotional distress. The first is negligent infliction of emotional distress. In this instance, the plaintiff must prove that the person's negligence was so egregious that it resulted in physical symptoms or injury. The second option is intentional infliction of emotional distress. In this case, the plaintiff must prove that the person intentionally acted in an intolerable or completely outrageous manner, which led to severe emotional trauma.

According to the law offices of Jacob B. Smith, it is extremely difficult for plaintiffs to sue successfully for claims of intentional emotional distress. In addition, collecting damages in these cases is even more challenging. The law firm goes on to relate that even if a person succeeds in proving someone caused him great emotional suffering, he is unlikely to prove that the outrageous conduct meets the legal criteria for damages.

Q&A Related to "Can I sue someone for emotional distress?"
From what I know you can't sue for emotional distress in small claims court period. However, you can request pain & suffering along with the medical bills you want paid.
If your baby won't go to sleep at night without nursing, now is probably *not* a good time to wean. Instead of waking up a few times a night, nursing, and going back to sleep, you'll
If your neighbor is breaking the law and you or others may be harmed, you should call the police. If it is more of a nuisance situation, you can file a small claims action - the county
Welcome to WebAnswers, and thank you for choosing us. One way to get the father out of the son's life is to have his parental rights terminated, but you can only do this if you can
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014