Can you die from an ibuprofen overdose?

Answer

You can die from an ibuprofen overdose. Even over-the-counter versions of the drug can cause multisystem organ failure and death when ingested in large quantities.

Ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), is available in prescription strength and non-prescription strength forms under the brand names Advil and Motrin. Fatal overdoses are rare, but medical attention for a suspected overdose is crucial to prevent organ failure and death, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Contact the poison control center at 800-222-1222, or call 911 if someone displays the following symptoms after ingesting ibuprofen:

  • Blurred vision or ringing in the ears
  • Heartburn, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Headache, confusion or incoherence
  • Drowsiness, unsteadiness or coma
  • Seizures

Be prepared to provide emergency personnel with the patient's details and information about the product ingested, including the strength, the quantity taken and the time it was taken.

Reference:
Q&A Related to "Can you die from an ibuprofen overdose?"
Very few will kill you instantly, as in drop dead but in large doses most if not all will kill you. Most are toxic in large amounts and will servery harm your body in large doses,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_over_the_counter_dr...
If you have an overdose exposure, you should call your local
http://www.chacha.com/question/how-long-does-it-ta...
It is difficult to die from Paracetamol OD, even at high doses but it is possible if you take an entire bottle of pills and no one visits you for 24hrs. . You would die in agonising
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201206...
Symptoms of pneumonia include: cough, fever,
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-are-the-sympto...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2015 Ask.com