How much water covers the Earth?

Answer

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, about 71 percent of the Earth is covered in water. The total volume of all the water is equal to around 332.5 million cubic miles.

All of Earth's water, including water from oceans, icecaps, glaciers, lakes, rivers, groundwater and water in the atmosphere, could be put into a sphere with a diameter of about 860 miles. This is about the same distance between Atlanta, Ga. and New York City.

If only the Earth's fresh water were put together in a similar sphere, it would have a volume of 2.55 million cubic miles and be 169.5 miles in diameter.

Reference:
Q&A Related to "How much water covers the Earth?"
Even we might think that Earth is big and there is not enough water, the water is taking about 3/4 (75% of the total area of our planet. This means that we have plenty of water and
http://www.ask.com/web-answers/Science/Other/how_m...
The total amount of water on Earth is estimated as about one and a third trillion cubic kilometers (1.36 x 10. 9. km. 3. Of that, the vast majority . about 97% . is in the oceans.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_water_is_earth_...
Your answer is 3.61132x10^8 km^2 (square kilometers) Src:
http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much-of-earth-i...
About 71 percent of Earth's surface is covered by water. Three percent of this supply consists of freshwater, most of which is found in glaciers and ice caps, with a small percentage
http://www.answers.com/topic/how-much-of-earth-s-s...
1 Additional Answer
Ask.com Answer for: how much water covers the earth
While Earth's surface is mostly water, Earth is nearly all rock. Just 0.5% of the planet by weight is water. More than 70% of the surface area of the planet today is covered by water; The other 30% is land.
Explore this Topic
The Pacific Ocean is the largest on Earth. It covers 69,375,000 square miles. It is 35 percent of the Earth. The Atlantic Ocean is the second largest on Earth ...
Mountains cover 24% of the earth's surface. It covers 64% of Asia, 25% of Europe, 22% of Sounth America, 17% of Australia and 3% of Africa. ...
About 30 percent of Earth's surface is land and out of that land about 30 percent of that land is covered in warm dessert sand. Through the largest dessert, The ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com