Is hibiscus poisonous?

Answer

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals indicates that hibiscus is poisonous to dogs, cats and horses. Other types of hibiscus include the rose of Sharon and the rose of China. The flower has large trumpet-like flowers in shades of yellow, white, pink, red, orange or purple.

Hibiscus is toxic to pets and can induce vomiting, nausea, anorexia and diarrhea. If there is a suspicion of hibiscus poisoning, take the animal to a veterinarian for observation. Hibiscus can be grown outdoors in warmer climates or be a houseplant during the cooler seasons. Keep the hibiscus out of reach of pets.

Explore this Topic
Hibiscus is poisonous to cats. A cat that ingests hibiscus experiences nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It often refuses to eat, and it may even develop anorexia.If ...
Hibiscus is beneficial to humans but toxic to dogs. If your dog has been poisoned by hibiscus, you should call your vet immediately. ...
There are a few different types of Hibiscus plants, such as the Chinese Hibiscus, Red Hibiscus and African Hibiscus, just to name a few. The Hibiscus plant is ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com