First impressions are very important when meeting new people, so of course you’re going to want to make a good one. Here are some simple questions to ask a new person who you want to get to know:
- Begin with the basics. Obviously you will need their name. It is very important to remember this though, otherwise you could end up asking them multiple times and possibly offending them. If you do have a bad memory then try asking somebody else first instead of asking them twice.
- Ask where they live. This could lead onto an interesting conversation about their home-town, what it’s like to live there, is the area nice, etc.
- What do they do in their free time? Or, what they do for a living? This is another useful question as it is open and you can find out a bit more about them.
- If there is a festival/event around the corner or they’ve just come back from their holidays then ask them about those and how they’re going to be spending their time.
- Ask them about their family, do they have any kids? Are they married? Avoid any questions which are too personal, you don’t want to make them feel awkward or embarrassed. If you’re curious then you can ask them once you’ve become buddies.
Finally, as general rule, try to stick with questions where you’re asking them what, where, who, how, and when. It may sound silly, but if you ask them why they did something or why they’re in a particular situation then you may come across as intruding – and that’s the last thing you want!