Remove Judgement from Credit Report?


When a creditor pursues a debt in court, the court can order a money judgment against you, requiring you to pay the judgment to the creditor. A judgment will appear on your credit history for at least seven years, and will negatively affect your credit score and, therefore, your ability to secure loans.

While a legitimate judgment record will remain on your credit history for the legal time period, even if you do pay it, judgments are sometimes added to credit scores in error, or without following the proper procedures. In those cases, it is possible to vacate the judgment from your credit report and restore your credit score. In order to remove an illegitimate judgment:

  1. You'll first need to obtain a copy of your credit report from one of the major credit bureaus.
  2. Once you have the report, locate the judgment you'd like to remove.
  3. Note the docket number and use it to obtain a copy of the judgment from the courthouse that issued it.
  4. The original judgment should show the name and address of the defendant.
  5. Send copies of the judgment and your own photo ID to the credit bureau and request that they delete the errant judgment.
  6. If all goes well, the judgment should be removed from your credit report within 30 days.
Q&A Related to "Remove Judgement from Credit Report"
1. Obtain a copy of your credit report from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion so you can inspect them. Are any of the judgements shown incorrect? If so, proceed to step 2. 2. Contact
Answer Go to the court that issued the judgement. If it is in error, or has been paid, they can give you a letter that states that information. Then, send a copy of the letter to
Judgments- paid or not stay on credit for 10 years. If you pay it then you need to have it released by having a release filed in the county. Send the recorded release (copy) to each
When we are negotiating payment of a judgment on behalf of a client we often seek and obtain an agreement with the creditor to have the judgment set aside (or vacated depending upon
1 Additional Answer Answer for: remove judgement from credit report
Free Credit Reports
Federal law states that everyone has the right to get one free credit report every 12 months from each of the major credit reporting companies - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2015