What are the symptoms of drinking bleach?

Answer

Drinking bleach, or sodium hypochlorite, can cause a variety of symptoms that impact many body systems, according to MedlinePlus. Diluted bleach may cause mild stomach irritation. Larger amounts of bleach may cause a gagging sensation, pain in the mouth and throat, burns on the esophagus, chest pain, low blood pressure, slow heartbeat, delirium, coma, abdominal pain, vomiting and shock. Anyone who has swallowed bleach should seek immediate medical attention.

MedlinePlus states that if a person has swallowed bleach, the local poison control center should be contacted. If the person is having serious symptoms, he should seek emergency attention. After drinking bleach, drinking water or milk is generally advised, unless the person is physically unable to swallow or has been otherwise instructed by a doctor. The person should not be forced to throw up unless instructed to do so by poison control or a health care professional.

When arriving at the hospital, the person who ingested bleach is closely monitored and symptoms are treated as needed. MedlinePlus explains that a tube may be inserted through the nose and into the stomach in order to empty the contents of the stomach, and intravenous fluids may be given. Overall, the chance of recovery is good with prompt and proper treatment.

Reference:
Q&A Related to "What are the symptoms of drinking bleach?"
1. Place a strainer over a clean large pot. Line the strainer with a large rag or clean shirt. If you do not have a strainer, secure the cloth over the top of the pot with string
http://www.ehow.com/how_6199044_purify-drinking-wa...
Bleach is a poison, I dont think you would die, depends how much you consumed If you do not feel sick straight away, then I think your going to be okay. None the less, You should
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why+is+it+bad+to+drink+b...
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-are-the-sympto...
A few things can help: Vitamin B, salt, Vitamin C, and potassium. Bananas are high in potassium (as much as 700mg per banana) and both potassium and sodium chloride are important
http://www.quora.com/How-does-eating-a-banana-ease...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com