What are cosmic rays?

Answer

Cosmic rays are fast-moving elementary particles, such as protons, electrons and atomic nuclei, that strike the Earth from outer space. They travel almost at the speed of light. Scientists believe they originate from supernovas, black holes and quasars.

The Earth's atmosphere provides protection from cosmic rays. With no atmosphere, these particles would pass through humans and damage their DNA.

Prolonged exposure leads to radiation poisoning and development of medical conditions such as cancer, brain damage and cataracts. During long space missions, like a manned mission to Mars, it is still necessary to find a way to shield travelers from the adverse effects of cosmic rays.

Q&A Related to "What are cosmic rays?"
Cosmic rays are energized particles that originate from outer space. 90% of all incoming cosmic rays are protons and the other 10% is helium. Everything in between that is electrons
http://www.ask.com/web-answers/Science/Physics/wha...
check the link under 'edit links' in the left column for details. It is 10-16 m.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What+careers+are+associa...
n. A stream of ionizing radiation of extraterrestrial origin, consisting chiefly of protons, alpha particles, and other atomic nuclei but including some high-energy electrons, that
http://www.answers.com/topic/cosmic-ray
A cosmic ray travels at a speed very close to the speed of light (2.98 *10^8
http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-speed-o...
Explore this Topic
Background radiation in the Earth's atmosphere comes from a number of natural and artificial sources such as: cosmic rays, the Earth's crust, food (such as Bananas ...
The truth is that galactic cosmic rays are on the decrease, thus making fewer low clouds. Those clouds are very reflective of sunlight, so when there are fewer ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com