What is another name for a mapmaker?


Mapmakers are called cartographers, and they work in a diverse number of disciplines. Cartography is used in engineering urban landscapes, charting the physical environment and illustrating weather patterns.

According to the website Online Degrees, 15 percent of all cartographers are employed in government agencies, such as the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics predicts a 27 percent job growth in this field between 2008 and 2018. Cartographers are strongly interested in the computer sciences, mechanical drawing, drafting and higher mathematics, such as algebra, geometry and trigonometry. The ability to understand concepts and visualize relationships between properties or patterns is useful.

Explore this Topic
A Daruma Loropetalum is properly known as a "Loropetalum chinese var. rubrum 'Daruma,'" which is the scientific name of the dwarf fringe flower. Another ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com