What is another name for the representative elements?


Another name for the representative elements is the "A elements." These elements are found within the first two families and last six families of the Periodic Table.

The representative elements are found in Groups I and II, which are on the left side of the Periodic Table, and Groups III through VIII on the right side of the table. These elements include the alkali metal group, alkaline earth metals and chalcogens.

The elements in each group share the same characteristics. For example, alkali metals are soluble in water and easily cut with a knife. Alkaline earth metals are harder than alkali metals, and they are not as reactive with oxygen.

Explore this Topic
Representing an element with fewer letters is not actually shorthand. Shortening the name of an element is done by abbreviating. Actinium is Ac, aluminum is Al ...
Sometimes the term Congress is used as another name for the Senate. This is partially accurate, as both the Senate and the House of Representatives make up the ...
Krypton is one element that has many different isotopes- about 33 in total as of December 26, 2011. Krypton 84 is signified as '84' because of its isotopic mass. ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com