What are some things made of ivory?

Answer

Ivory is used to make chop-sticks, ornaments, jewelry, hair accessories, bow clips, needles, bones, buttons, hair pins, spear tips, handles, billiard balls and medicines, according to The Atlantic and Animal Rights Action. Ivory is also used in certain medicines, notes Animal Rights Action. Much of the demand for ivory comes from China and Thailand, according to The Atlantic.

A large portion of the world's ivory comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo. New York Times reporter Jeffrey Gettleman wrote that 2013 "broke the record for the amount of illegal ivory seized, at 38.8 tons, (equaling 4,000 dead elephants). Law enforcement officials say that the sharp increase in large seizures indicates that organized crime is involved because it requires a well-oiled machine to transport large quantities of illegal ivory across the globe. Many tusks are smuggled in shipping containers with secret compartments. The growing middle class of China is responsible for the recent increase in ivory demand, according to The Atlantic. This surge in demand has resulted in the price of ivory increasing to over $1,000 per pound, as of 2013. The Atlantic notes that elephant ivory is the most sought after because of its texture, softness and lack of a tough exterior.

Q&A Related to "What are some things made of ivory?"
Elephant and Walrus Tusks are the only things Ivory is intended for.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_things_made...
Natural wood is considered a neutral. Neutrals are colors that are compatible with any other color. Ivory is considered a neutral and pairing it with other colors in the neutral family
http://www.ehow.com/info_8756001_color-ivory-compa...
A nickel is made out of a copper nickel alloy. Interestingly enough, a nickel is actually about 75% nickel with the remaining 25% being copper. A nickel's value is equal to the cost
http://www.ask.com/web-answers/Science/Chemistry/w...
A booger is mostly made of mucus from your nose, but it also contains particles of whatever else you have been breathing in. This includes dust and dirt. You might want to think about
http://www.ask.com/web-answers/Science/Other/what_...
Explore this Topic
A rhinoceros's horn is not made out of ivory. The horn of the rhinoceros is made out of keratin. It is the same thing human fingernails and hair are made of. ...
Elk teeth are made of ivory. These teeth are situated at the front and are usually referred to as 'Elk Ivories'. Every tooth is usually dissimilar from the other ...
Ivory is usually made from the tusks of animals such as elephants, rhinos, mammoths and mastodons. African elephants have the distinction of producing the best ...
About -  Privacy -  Careers -  Ask Blog -  Mobile -  Help -  Feedback  -  Sitemap  © 2014 Ask.com