Bamboo stalks turn yellow when the plant is very unhealthy and dying, this change is caused by a number of factors. Dehydration is the most common reason for a bamboo stalk to yellow. Going without any water for a short amount of time hardens the pores that the plant uses to bring water into the plant. This hardening is permanent, making the plant unable to hydrate itself even if water is added later.Know More
A bamboo plant that starts to yellow needs immediate attention. When the bamboo stalk starts to yellow before the leaves, the problem likely started at the base. Too much fertilizer, the wrong type of fertilizer, dirty water and lack of water are likely causes of yellowing bamboo.
If a stalk of bamboo turns yellow, it needs to be removed from plant arrangements to prevent it from affecting the other plants. If the leaves yellow first, there is more time to correct any issues in the plant's environment. Bamboo plants need indirect sunlight, a comfortable, room-temperature environment and plenty of water. Fertilizers that are meant for soil-grown plants are not recommended for bamboo plants because of the intense strength of the fertilizers. Bamboo plants are also sensitive to frequent pruning.Learn More
Fertilization in plants occurs when pollen grains are transported from anthers to stigma. When ripe pollen from an anther catches on the stigma of the same kind of flower, each pollen grain sends out a small thread-like tube.Full Answer >
Chlorine is a micronutrient that is essential to plant growth. If a plant accumulates too much chlorine in its leaf tissue the leaves become scorched or burnt in appearance.Full Answer >
According to Biosciences for Farming in Africa, sexual reproduction in plants occurs when pollen from a plant's stamen reaches the stigma of a flower. The pollen contains sperm cells while the stigma holds the corresponding eggs. When the two meet, the sperm cells fertilize the egg, creating an embryonic seed that later germinates into a new plant.Full Answer >
Wild onions contain a compound called N-propyl disulfide, which is a mild irritant in humans but is very toxic to pets and farm animals. Humans are much more resistant to N-propyl disulfide, but caution should still be used when foraging for plants, as some poisonous lilies resemble wild onion bulbs.Full Answer >