As far as humans can tell, space is infinite; it has no end or borders. Scientists believe that space will always seem infinite to humans for two reasons. First, our investigation of space has never found an edge (or any indications of an edge). Second, measurements show that space is expanding faster and faster, which pushes the edges of the universe ? if there are any ? ever farther out.Know More
Space is continuing to expand (meaning that all the galaxies are speeding away from the center of the universe) because of the Big Bang's momentum and because of a substance called dark energy. Dark energy occupies the seemingly empty parts of the universe, but it has a strong negative pressure, pushing things away from each other even faster than they would move as a result of the Big Bang. This makes it difficult for humans to measure the farthest reaches of space.
In addition, anything traveling through space ? including humans' investigative tools, techniques and measurements ? is limited to the fastest possible speed: the speed of light. Because nothing can travel faster than light, there is a limit to how far scientists can explore or understand the universe. The size of the observable universe (the part astronomers could potentially study) is approximately 45.7 billion light-years across.Learn more about Universe
When gazing at the starry night sky, you might imagine that the color of the universe is a dark shade of midnight blue. However, the average color is much brighter than that. When all of the universe’s light is averaged together, the resulting color is a much less mysterious light beige.Full Answer >
As of 2014, the universe is believed to be flat, according to the inflationary theory. This theory has to do with the density of the universe and suggests that the universe must be flat as piece of paper.Full Answer >
It's impossible to look beyond the cosmological horizon because this horizon represents the distance that light has traveled since the big bang. The cosmological horizon exists because the speed of light is constant and all electromagnetic waves travel at the same speed. Therefore, the cosmological horizon holds for visible light as well as for other types of waves, such as radio or microwaves.Full Answer >
The universe is made up of ordinary matter, dark matter and dark energy. Only 4.6 percent of the universe is made from ordinary atoms, the other 95.4 percent is composed of matter that humans cannot see.Full Answer >