Q:

What is the composition of pure air?

A:

Quick Answer

By volume, dry air is 78.09 percent nitrogen and 20.95 percent oxygen, accounting for over 99 percent of the total volume. The remaining 1 percent is made up of argon, carbon dioxide, neon, methane, helium, krypton, hydrogen, xenon, ozone, nitrogen dioxide, iodine and trace amounts of carbon monoxide and ammonia.

Know More
What is the composition of pure air?
Credit: Buena Vista Images Digital Vision Getty Images

Full Answer

Water vapor is also present in air. Under very humid conditions, air can contain as much as 5 percent water vapor, though the amount is more commonly in the 1 to 3 percent range, making it the third most common component of air. Together, nitrogen, oxygen, water vapor and argon account for 99.998 percent of air by volume.

Learn more about Chemistry

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What is a pure metal?

    A:

    A pure metal is a substance that contains atoms of only one type of metallic element, such as aluminum, gold, copper, lead or zinc. Most metals very rarely, if ever, appear in their pure form in nature and instead must be extracted from a metal ore.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What gases are in the air we breathe?

    A:

    In dry air that does not contain pollution, the predominant gas is nitrogen, which makes up 78 percent of the atmosphere. The next two most voluminous gases are oxygen (21 percent) and argon (1 percent). Other gases appearing in trace amounts include carbon dioxide.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why is percent composition important?

    A:

    Percent composition is important because it helps one to know the chemical composition of certain substances. Percent composition is used to calculate the percentage of an element in a mixture. One can also derive an empirical formula from percent composition. The empirical formula derived from percent composition can help one find the actual molecular weight.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the composition of cast iron?

    A:

    Cast iron is mainly composed of iron, carbon and silicon, with a carbon content of 2 to 5 percent. Cast iron can also contain some sulphur, manganese and phosphorus.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore