Dangers of acetone are mainly due to its toxicity and flammability. When over 200 milliliters of acetone is ingested into the body, the liver is unable to break it down. Acetone poisoning is generally caused by starvation, chemical overexposure or various types of metabolic diseases.
Visually, acetone looks like a clear liquid and has a smell similar to nail polish remover. When pure acetone is exposed to the air, it quickly evaporates. As acetone is a highly flammable chemical in both liquid and gas form, it is dangerous to use around an open flame source. Acetone can be found in numerous household products, such as rubbing alcohol, nail polish and furniture polish.
The human body also naturally produces acetone in the process of breaking down fat. A low-fat diet generally leads to a higher level of natural acetone in the body. When the human body is exposed to high levels of acetone, it can lead to mild and severe acetone poisoning symptoms.
Accidental ingestion or inhalation of acetone for short periods of time can lead to lung, throat or eye irritation. High levels of acetone can also cause intoxication, nausea and vomiting. Intense exposure to acetone is also known to cause comas, seizures, kidney damage and death.Learn More
Nitrogen has five valence electrons. Valence electrons are the negatively charged particles found in the outer energy level of an atom, and are required to form chemical bonds.Full Answer >
Rubidium oxide is a yellow-brown or yellowish crystalline solid with a chemical formula Rb2O. It is also known as dirubidium oxide or rubidium (I) oxide. It is a strong base and reacts with water to produce rubidium hydroxide.Full Answer >
The chemical formula for cobalt(II) selenide is CoSe, according to Chemical Dictionary Online. It has a molar mass of 137.89 and a density of 7.65 grams per cubic centimeter. It has a melting point of 1,055 degrees Celsius. It appears as yellow hexagonal crystals.Full Answer >
The most flammable substance in the world is chlorine trifluoride, according to About.com. This substance is so flammable that it does not require an ignition source to combust.Full Answer >