Ethanol is a substance that is created from the fermentation of food crops in factories, while methanol is a highly poisonous chemical produced synthetically. Both substances are variants of alcohol that can be used as energy sources, but have different methods of production and practical uses.Know More
Ethanol is a colorless liquid usually created from corn or sugarcane, and is a primary ingredient in alcoholic beverages. Once ingested, it causes intoxication and drowsiness. It is also used as an alternative fuel source: Some cars are designed to run on up to 85 percent ethanol. Its use as a fuel source is hotly debated, due to the sheer amount of corn that must be used in its production instead of as a source of food. In addition to alcoholic beverages and alternative fuel, ethanol is found in a multitude of household products, including antibacterial hand gels, rubbing alcohol and paint.
In contrast to ethanol, methanol is highly poisonous to humans, even in small amounts. Less than half a teaspoon of methanol can cause blindness. The primary use of methanol is in the formulation of chemicals like formaldehyde. It is less flammable than gasoline and can be put out with water, making it ideal for use in race cars and stunt cars.Learn more in Chemistry
Ethanol is a highly polar substance. This is because the hydroxyl, or OH, group at the end of the ethanol molecule contains a polar bond.Full Answer >
In chemistry, the term "hydrate" refers to a substance that contains water, while an anhydrous substance contains no water. Hydrates and anhydrates differ greatly in their reactions to water and their common uses.Full Answer >
When discussing solutions, the solute is the substance which dissolves, while the solvent is the substance into which the solute dissolves. Creating a salt water solution involves dissolving salt in water, making salt the solute and water the solvent. However, determining which is the solute or solvent is not always so simple, and some rules exist for determining which substance dissolves in the other.Full Answer >
Ethanol is dangerous because it is a highly flammable liquid that can be poisonous with skin contact or ingestion in its pure forms. Ethanol is also the ingredient in alcoholic beverages, and consumption of it can lead to liver disease, heart problems and alcoholism.Full Answer >