Mixing bleach and ammonia produces toxic gases called chloramines that can damage the upper respiratory tract and irritate the eyes, throat and nose. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, watery eyes and nausea. Prolonged exposure to chloramines in an enclosed space can cause death, particularly if a person has any pre-existing respiratory conditions.Know More
Bleach and ammonia each contain powerful chemicals that can prove toxic unless handled correctly. Bleach contains chlorine, a toxic element fatal in sufficient concentrations. Many other household cleaners use the chemical chlorine, including laundry detergent, toilet-bowl cleaner and dish-washing liquid. Combining any of these with ammonia-based cleaning products releases chloramines. Read the contents of a product carefully before use and note whether it contains bleach, chlorine or sodium hypochlorite. In addition to ammonia, bleach reacts with acids such as vinegar, releasing chlorine gas.
Household products use ammonium hydroxide dissolved in water for laundry use. Most glass- and porcelain-cleaning products contain ammonia because it cuts grease and cleans without leaving streaks. While ammonia can irritate, it generally isn't fatal. The level of toxicity depends on the quantities used.
While bleach and ammonia products provide benefits, their potential toxicity demands careful handling. Normal safety precautions, such as using rubber gloves, wearing eye protection and proper ventilation reduce the risk of possible injury.Learn More
Mixing bleach and Pine-Sol in specific proportions releases toxic chlorine gas. Chlorine is extremely poisonous and quickly causes loss of consciousness, respiratory arrest and death when inhaled. These cleaning products must be used separately.Full Answer >
Mixing bleach and Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. S. C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. reports that one of the ingredients in Windex Original is ammonia. When ammonia and sodium hypochlorite, the primary ingredient in bleach are mixed, they produce chloramine vapor; there is also the potential for hydrazine formation. Experts recommend avoiding mixing these two solutions, even in small amounts.Full Answer >
The mixing of oil and vinegar produces a temporary mixture that will eventually separate into two layers. This occurs because these two liquids are immiscible, meaning it is impossible for these two substances to be mixed into a permanent emulsion.Full Answer >
When acid is poured into water, the solution that is created is diluted and produces little heat. If water is poured into acid, the solution created is a very concentrated acid. In this situation the acid produces a large amount of heat, which makes the solution volatile.Full Answer >