Mixing bleach and Pine-Sol in specific proportions releases toxic chlorine gas. Chlorine is extremely poisonous and quickly causes loss of consciousness, respiratory arrest and death when inhaled. These cleaning products must be used separately.Know More
Chlorine bleach and Pine-Sol are both powerful cleaning products that emit strong fumes during use. Ventilation is critical to the safe use of these cleaners, especially in confined spaces such as bathrooms. They must never be mixed with anything except water. However, it is safe to use them separately in the same room. For example, bleach disinfects and whitens sinks, bathtubs and toilets, whereas Pine-Sol is the more popular option for breaking down grease and cleaning floors. When used in this manner, the fumes these chemicals emit do not combine to create deadly chlorine gas.
Chlorine bleach is an effective household cleaner and disinfectant, but it reacts with many other chemicals in potentially dangerous ways. In addition to Pine-Sol, bleach must never be combined with ammonia or any other high-pH products. If these chemicals are accidentally combined while cleaning, everyone in the room must immediately go outdoors to breathe fresh air. The affected room needs immediate ventilation so the toxic fumes dissipate. All windows should be left open for several hours before cleaning resumes.Learn more about Solutions & Mixtures
The mixing of oil and vinegar produces a temporary mixture that will eventually separate into two layers. This occurs because these two liquids are immiscible, meaning it is impossible for these two substances to be mixed into a permanent emulsion.Full Answer >
Mixing salt with water results in the salt dissolving in the water to produce a saline solution. The salt splits up into positively and negatively charged ions that exist independently in the solution.Full Answer >
When sugar is dissolved in water, the volume of the water increases, but not by much. Adding equal volumes of sugar and water together does not double the volume of the water, due to the properties of solutions.Full Answer >
Mixing hydrogen and oxygen equals water, but at room temperature and normal pressure this happens extremely slowly; an energy source, a catalyst, is needed to start the chemical reaction. However, hydrogen is extremely flammable and explodes even in the presence of a lighted match or a spark, so attempting this is not advised.Full Answer >