Q:

Is the jade plant poisonous to humans and animals?

A:

The jade plant is poisonous to dogs and cats and marginally toxic to humans. For humans, the jade plant is considered to be minor in toxicity. If eaten, it may cause diarrhea or an upset stomach.

If it is suspected that a child or adult has ingested jade, call the local poison control center.

If a pet accidentally ingests any part of this plant, seek medical attention from a veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately. Animals may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, acting lethargic, loss of appetite, slow heart rate and a lack of muscle coordination.

This plant has thick branches of shiny, short leaves that are deep green or yellow-green in color. It is also known as the Chinese rubber plant, baby jade, money tree and Japanese rubber plant.


Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Are wild onions poisonous?

    A:

    Wild onions contain a compound called N-propyl disulfide, which is a mild irritant in humans but is very toxic to pets and farm animals. Humans are much more resistant to N-propyl disulfide, but caution should still be used when foraging for plants, as some poisonous lilies resemble wild onion bulbs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are yucca plants poisonous?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, yucca plants are not poisonous to humans, but they do contain compounds that make them toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The toxic compounds are called saponins.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are jade plants toxic to cats?

    A:

    The jade plant is toxic to both cats and dogs. Veterinarians recommend that pet owners do not keep this plant inside their homes.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Why is my jade plant dying?

    A:

    The most common cause of a dying jade plant is improper watering. Over-watering gives the roots more moisture than they can handle, causing them to rot.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore