Leaves of plants typically turn yellow for a variety of reasons, which may include nutritional deficiencies, poor drainage, compacted or damaged roots, overwatering, insufficient light and viral infections. In addition, leaves often turn yellow and drop off of house plants simply as a result of age. By investigating one possible cause at a time, it is possible to deduce the cause of yellowing plant leaves and, often, to correct the situation.Know More
The first step to diagnosing the cause of yellowing leaves is to check the roots and drainage of the plant. If the plant isn't draining well, or if an inspection shows damage or compaction of the roots, then repotting, tilling the soil or mulching may be the solution. If poor drainage is evident, then cutting back on watering should also help the plant's health.
The most common nutritional deficiency causing yellow leaves in house plants is lack of iron. If the yellowing begins on younger leaves and gradually progresses to older leaves, chances are lack of iron is the cause. Yellowing that begins first on older leaves may be due to deficiencies in manganese, nitrogen or zinc. Testing the soil's pH level is a good first start to diagnosing these deficiencies.
If yellowing occurs only on the side of the leaves facing away from the sun, the cause may be a lack of sufficient light to those areas. If a virus is causing yellowing, the plant probably also shows other signs of ill health, including deformed leaves and flowers. In this case, there may be nothing that can be done to save the plant.Learn more about Earth Science
The process of transpiration is when water moves through plants from the roots to the leaves, then changes to vapor as it leaves the plant. Transpiration cools the plant and also provides it with nutrients, carbon dioxide and water.Full Answer >
A swan's diet consists of plants, roots, leaves and seeds that it finds in its aquatic habitat. Some swans have adapted to eating grains and corn that they find on the ground. In some areas, swans will seek out farmland to eat the grains or corn, becoming a nuisance for farmers.Full Answer >
Prairie dogs are herbivores, so the majority of their diet comes from leaves, roots and weedy flowering plants called forbs. Black-tailed prairie dogs, a common species, get 98 percent of their diet vegetation. The other 2 percent comes from the occasional consumption of insects.Full Answer >
Agriculture and Rural Development of Alberta explains that yellow leaves on a cucumber plant may indicate exposure to warm, humid conditions with low light levels in the lower canopy of the plants. Yellow leaves may also indicate nitrogen deficiency, while yellow or necrotic tissue on the outside perimeter of the leaf may be caused by a rapid drop in temperature when day turns to night.Full Answer >