Mold growing on wood is generally eliminated by wet vacuuming affected areas, applying solutions made from mild detergents and water, then drying the area and vacuuming again. Since removing mold involves handling chemicals that may cause eye and skin irritation, proper personal protections should be used when cleaning; rubber gloves, eye protection and a high-quality dust or pollen mask are ideal. The ideal methods of removing mold from wooden surfaces vary depending on the volume of mold, type of mold and variety of wood.
Molds that appear on lumber are usually large collections of fungal spores that form and congregate on surfaces. These spores are ideally removed by wiping the affected area, then scrubbing the lumber to remove residual particles. After letting the surface dry, a mixture combining bleach and water should be applied to the surface. Once this substance dries, the area should be wet vacuumed to remove residual water droplets, which may enable the growth of future mold colonies. Water and bleach solutions may be applied by wiping, but spraying is ideal, as wiping surfaces can release mold spores into the surrounding air. Common household bleach and water generally suffice for solutions; a combination of 10 parts water to one part bleach is standard, although solutions can be made stronger by adding more bleach; this is ideal for targeting and treating areas of discoloration and excessive growth.