Q:

How much can the female bladder hold?

A:

Quick Answer

According to Spokane Urology, the female bladder can hold approximately 16 ounces of urine. It can hold this amount without discomfort for up to 5 hours. This amount of urine is equal to two cups of liquid.

  Know More

Full Answer

The bladder serves as a holding area for urine and is located in the pelvic region of the body. Urine is produced in the kidneys and then travels through the ureters to the bladder. Spokane Urology reports that urine continually builds in the bladder until it is emptied. Nerves within the bladder send signals to the brain when it has reached its limit, which causes the urge to urinate.

Learn more about Human Anatomy

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What does the bladder do?

    A:

    According to WebMD, the bladder is a hollow, muscular sac that stores urine. About the size and shape of a pear, the bladder receives urine from the ureters and expels it through the urethra. While the kidneys filter blood constantly, and therefore produce urine on a continual basis, the urinary bladder stores the urine so that urination can take place periodically instead of being a constant activity.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is in urine?

    A:

    Urine is 95 percent water, and the remaining 5 percent contains small amounts of the following: uric acid, inorganic ions, carbohydrates, urea, hormones, enzymes, mucin and fatty acids.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is urine?

    A:

    Urine is a liquid that removes waste products from the body after they are processed by the kidneys, according to WebMD. Urine is usually pale to deep yellow, and it gets its color from urochrome, a type of pigment. The more concentrated urine is, the darker it is.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is urine sterile?

    A:

    Urine is not sterile before or after it leaves the human body. Bacteria are always present in urine at very low concentrations. These bacteria are found in the bladder and help reduce the risk of bladder infections and urinary infections.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore