Q:

Are mums poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

Chrysanthemums, or mums, can cause people to develop contact dermatitis and is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. Contact dermatitis is a condition that results in red, sore, or inflamed skin.

Know More
Are mums poisonous?
Credit: Insung Jeon Moment Open Getty Images

Full Answer

Contact dermatitis typically occurs after extended exposure to the plant's leaves, stalks or flower heads and is common for gardeners and florists. The chemical Arteglasin-A triggers the allergic reaction to this popular fall plant. Washing the affected area thoroughly may clear up the skin. An emollient or moisturizer can be used.

If a dog, cat or horse ingests mums, the animal may show several signs such as vomiting, hypersalivation, loss of appetite or incoordination. The ASPCA recommends contacting a veterinarian immediately if this occurs.

Learn more about Botany

Related Questions

  • Q:

    What are some poisonous berries?

    A:

    A few of the more common poisonous berries are woodbine, cotoneaster, pokeweed, mistletoe, holly, yew and ivy berries, according to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Unfortunately, many poisonous berries resemble their benign counterparts. Many are dark blue and look similar to blueberries and huckleberries.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are orchids poisonous?

    A:

    Orchids are not poisonous to humans, dogs, cats or horses. The orchid is officially known as the Phalaenopsis orchid and also goes by the names of moth orchid and moon orchid. While orchids are considered a safe and nontoxic plant, it is possible for reactions to still occur if a person is particularly sensitive.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are bluebells poisonous?

    A:

    According to the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, bluebells are poisonous. Bluebells, or Hyacinthoides non-scripta, contain a toxic chemical called glycosides. In some individuals, direct contact with the plant can cause skin irritation, known as contact dermatitis.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are marigolds poisonous?

    A:

    Marigolds are not listed as a poisonous plant for humans, according to the National Capital Poison Center. Marigolds are considered safe and were historically used as medicines for healing wounds and preventing infection in tinctures, ointments or infusions, according to Herbs 2000.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore