Q:

Are orchids poisonous?

A:

Quick Answer

Orchids are not poisonous to humans, dogs, cats or horses. The orchid is officially known as the Phalaenopsis orchid and also goes by the names of moth orchid and moon orchid. While orchids are considered a safe and nontoxic plant, it is possible for reactions to still occur if a person is particularly sensitive.

Know More
Are orchids poisonous?
Credit: Christian Science Monitor/Getty Images Christian Science Monitor Getty Images

Full Answer

Many common household plants are actually poisonous to people and pets, so it is important for anyone considering adding houseplants to a residence to note which plants are safe and which are not. Poisonous plants include, but are not limited to, azaleas, daffodils, English ivy and even the popular holiday favorite, mistletoe.

Learn more about Botany
Sources:

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Are wild onions poisonous?

    A:

    Wild onions contain a compound called N-propyl disulfide, which is a mild irritant in humans but is very toxic to pets and farm animals. Humans are much more resistant to N-propyl disulfide, but caution should still be used when foraging for plants, as some poisonous lilies resemble wild onion bulbs.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is the schefflera plant poisonous?

    A:

    The schefflera plant is mildly toxic to humans, according to the University of Connecticut Home and Garden Education Center. Eating the leaves can cause the mouth to tingle or grow numb, and it can cause vomiting. Exposure to the plant's sap can cause mild skin irritation.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are yucca plants poisonous?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, yucca plants are not poisonous to humans, but they do contain compounds that make them toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The toxic compounds are called saponins.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Is the jade plant poisonous to humans and animals?

    A:

    The jade plant is poisonous to dogs and cats and marginally toxic to humans. For humans, the jade plant is considered to be minor in toxicity. If eaten, it may cause diarrhea or an upset stomach. Full Answer >

    Filed Under:

Explore