Q:

What is phosphorus trihydride?

A:

Quick Answer

Phosphorus trihydride, commonly known as phosphine, is a chemical widely used in pesticides and rodentcides. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas that is also odorless in its pure form. When not pure, the gas has a distinct, rotting fish odor.

Know More

Full Answer

Phosphorus trihydride is a dangerous chemical that can collect in low-lying areas. It is highly flammable and can self-ignite when mixed with air. It is also highly toxic and is absorbed through inhalation.

Phosphine poisoning presents with a varied symptom set, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, breathing difficulty, chest tightness, diarrhea, muscle pain and pulmonary edema. Symptoms can be delayed for days. Phosphorus trihydride poisoning is often fatal.

Learn more about Solutions & Mixtures

Explore