Q:

Is red mold dangerous?

A:

Quick Answer

Molds that are red or orange in appearance are harmless, although they sometimes causing allergy symptoms when inhaled into nasal passages. They are found in outdoor conditions. Growing on dampened wood and decomposing plants, they are removed for aesthetic purposes.

Know More

Keep Learning

Is red mold dangerous?
Credit: USGS CC-BY-2.0

Full Answer

Molds are a type of fungus that grows indoors and outside. They thrive in warm damp humid conditions. Molds use spores for reproduction, and their spores can survive in severe environmental conditions. Some molds release spores in only hot, dry weather. Both indoor and outdoor molds are associated with allergies. Symptoms may continue year round due to the ability of molds to remain dormant during cold winter months.

Learn More

Related Questions

  • Q:

    Is mold a plant?

    A:

    Mold is not a plant; it is classified as a fungi. Fungi is considered different from both plants and animals kingdoms.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is the difference between convergent and divergent evolution?

    A:

    Divergent evolution is the process of two or more related species becoming more and more dissimilar, while convergent evolution is unrelated species becoming more similar in appearance as they adapt to the same environment. The two types of evolution are important in generating variation and ensuring that species play their role.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a yellow slime mold?

    A:

    Most commonly found outdoors in garden areas and flower beds, yellow slime mold is a fungus that thrives in mulch and thick grass clippings. Resembling the regurgitated contents of a dog's stomach, the unsavory mold has no plant or animal classification. It is a primitive, single-celled organism.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What causes mold to grow?

    A:

    Mold grows when its spores float through the air and land on damp surfaces. Outdoors mold serves a natural function, helping to break down fallen leaves, twigs and even whole trees. Indoors, however, mold is capable of causing health problems for human beings.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore