Q:

Are rubber plants poisonous?

A:

Rubber plants are dangerous if you are allergic to the protein contained in the sap of the rubber tree, which is used in the manufacture of latex products. Latex allergies have been on the rise since the use of rubber gloves was required in hospitals and places that serve food.

A person who is having a reaction to latex may display a multitude of symptoms, including rash, severe itching, hives, dizziness, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain and anaphylactic shock. A cross reaction can also occur with exposure to foods that contain similar proteins. People with multiple allergies may be at a higher risk for developing a sensitivity to latex, as well as those who are in constant contact with latex, such as those who work in medical fields or food service.

Sources:

  1. health.ny.gov

Is this answer helpful?

Similar Questions

  • Q:

    Are spider plants poisonous?

    A:

    Spider plants, or Chlorophytum comosum, are not poisonous plants, according to the University of Connecticut Home & Garden Education Center. This means that eating or touching them is unlikely to cause illness.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    Are yucca plants poisonous?

    A:

    According to the ASPCA, yucca plants are not poisonous to humans, but they do contain compounds that make them toxic to horses, cats and dogs. The toxic compounds are called saponins.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is a rubber tree harvester?

    A:

    A rubber tree harvester is a specially designed machine that cuts into the bark of a rubber tree to extract liquid latex without damaging the tree.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:
  • Q:

    What is tree sap made of?

    A:

    Tree sap is made of water with sugars and mineral salts dissolved in it. Different species of trees have different sap profiles. Maple sap is edible, but the sap produced by other trees is inedible or even toxic.

    Full Answer >
    Filed Under:

Explore