These Public Figures Have Been Diagnosed with COVID-19
COVID-19 has spread to at least 140 countries and infected more than 170,000 people worldwide. To control the spread of COVID-19 cases, governments and health experts urge the public to practice good hygiene, wash their hands and get tested. As more diagnoses come in, some Hollywood stars, athletes and politicians are testing positive, including actor Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson.
While COVID-19 continues to affect the entire world, here are some public figures who have been diagnosed with the new coronavirus and their personal stories on staying safe.
Rudy Gobert, Professional Basketball Player
NBA player Rudy Gobert received a lot of heat before and after he announced his positive test results on March 12. Before his diagnosis, health experts and fans heavily criticized the Utah Jazz star for putting his hands all over the microphones at a press conference and mocking the seriousness of the virus.
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, Spouse of the Prime Minister of Canada
According to the Canadian Prime Minister's office, Justin Trudeau’s wife, Sophie, was diagnosed with COVID-19. After returning to Canada from an event in London, Sophie began feeling sick on March 11. Her symptoms included a low fever. The next day, she received a positive diagnosis.
Donovan Mitchell, Professional Basketball Player
Rudy Gobert isn't the only NBA player infected with the virus. His Utah Jazz teammate Donovan Mitchell also tested positive for COVID-19 on March 12.
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Actors
On March 11, Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson announced they had tested positive for COVID-19. On Instagram, Hanks said, "We felt a bit tired, like we had colds and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went, slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus and were found to be positive." The two were in Australia, where Hanks was working on a new Elvis Presley biopic.
Francis Suarez, Miami Mayor
After attending a local event with a Brazilian government official, Miami Mayor Francis Suarez received a positive diagnosis of the virus on March 12. The Brazilian official also tested positive. Shortly afterward, the mayor made a statement about his decision to undergo self-isolation. Miami government employees and Suarez's family have not been infected.
Kevin Durant, Professional Basketball Player
On March 17, four Brooklyn Nets players tested positive for the virus, including Kevin Durant. The identity of the other players remain unknown. The team's physicians are taking care of the athletes while they're in isolation.
Idris Elba, Actor
Actor Idris Elba has also been tested for the COVID-19 virus. On March 16, the results came back positive. Elba addressed his results and experience on Twitter. So far, the actor has not displayed any symptoms.
Olga Kurylenko, Actor
Olga Kurylenko, the former James Bond actor, revealed her test came back positive on the evening of March 15. The Ukrainian star and model has appeared in TV shows and movies, such as Magic City and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
Rand Paul, U.S. Senator
On March 22, Rand Paul became the first senator to test positive for COVID-19. After taking the virus test, the U.S. Senator for Kentucky went to the gym and worked for six days, worrying his fellow associates. Paul is currently in quarantine, noting that he has no symptoms.
More public figures who have been diagnosed with the virus:
- -Slim Thug: Rapper
- -Rachel Matthews: Actor from Happy Death Day and Frozen II
- -Daniel Dae Kim: Actor from Lost, Hawaii Five-0, Angel and Saints Row
- -Debi Mazar: Actor from Civil Wars, L.A. Law. and Younger
- -Aaron Tveit: Actor from Moulin Rouge! The Musical, Grease Live and Gossip Girl
- -Kristofer Hivju: Actor from Game of Thrones
- -Indira Varma: Actor from Game of Thrones
- -Colton Underwood: Reality star from The Bachelor Season 23
- -Andy Cohen: Talk show host of Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen
- -Charlotte Lawrence: American singer-songwriter and model
- -David Bryan: Bon Jovi keyboardist
- -Sandi Patti: Gospel singer
- -Placido Domingo: Opera singer
Athletes and Sports Professionals
- -Christian Wood: NBA, Detroit Pistons forward
- -Marcus Smart: NBA, Boston Celtics guard
- -Trey Thompkins: EuroLeague, Real Madrid power forward
- -Chris Kielsmeier: Cleveland State women’s basketball coach
- -Sean Payton: NFL, New Orleans Saints head coach
- -Mikel Arteta: Premier League club, Arsenal head coach
- -Callum Hudson-Odoi: Premier League club, Chelsea winger
- -Hyun-Jun Suk: South Korean professional football, Troyes striker
- -Timo Hübers: German professional football, Hannover defender
- -Luca Kilian: German professional football, Paderborn defender
- -Ezequiel Garay: Argentine professional football, Valencia defender
- -Eliaquim Mangala: Argentine professional football, Valencia defender
- -Albin Ekdal: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Antonino La Gumina: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Fabio Depaoli: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Manolo Gabbiadini: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Morten Thorsby: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Omar Colley: Italian soccer club UC Sampdoria
- -Dušan Vlahović: Serbian professional football, Fiorentina striker
- -Germán Pezzella: Serbian professional football, Fiorentina central defender
- -Patrick Cutrone: Serbian professional football, Fiorentina forward
- -Daniele Rugani: Juventus defender
- -Dominique Blanc: Swiss Football Association President
- -Evangelos Marinakis: Nottingham Forest and Olympiakos owner
- -Fernando Gaviria: Colombian cyclist
- -Dmitry Strakhov: Russian cyclist
Politicians and Spouses
- -Mario Diaz-Balart: Republican Rep. for Florida
- -Ben McAdams: Democrat Rep. for Utah
- -John Bessler: Husband of Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota)
- -Nadine Dorries: British Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Mental Health, Suicide Prevention and Patient Safety
- -Irene Montero: Spanish Minister of Equality
- -Franck Riester: French Minister of Culture
- -Quim Torra: President of Catalonia
- -Pere Aragonés: Vice President of Catalonia
- -Begoña Gómez: Wife of Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez
- -Peter Dutton: Australian Minister for Home Affairs
- -Eshaq Jahangiri: Vice President of Iran
- -Masoumeh Ebtekar: Vice President of Iran for Women and Family Affairs
- -Mojtaba Zolnour: Iranian Parliament member
- -Mahmoud Sadeghi: Iranian Parliament member
- -Iraj Harirchi: Iranian Deputy Minister of Health and Medical Education
- -Morteza Rahmanzadeh: Tehran’s 13th district Mayor
- -Mohammad Reza Ghadir: Iranian Director of Medical Science and Health Services at Qom University
- -Hadi Khosroshahi: Iranian diplomat
- -Mohammad Mirmohammadi: Iranian Expediency Council member
- -Fabio Wajngarten: Brazilian president’s press secretary
- -Andrew Watt: Music producer
- -Prince Charles, heir to the British throne
- -Prince Albert of Monaco
- -Harvey Weinstein